After a storm has passed and you have confirmed that everyone is okay, it's time to assess that damage and begin the recovery phase. Below are some tips to keep in mind when inspecting and cleaning up any storm damage:
- Wear protective clothing.
- Use caution if operating machinery to cut up downed tree limbs or debris.
- Wear protective face coverings.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if it is wet or if you are in standing water.
- Do not drive or walk through standing water. It may be much deeper than you realize and there may be hidden hazards.
- Electrical power and natural gas or propane tanks should be shut off to avoid fire, electrocution or explosions.
- If you suspect a gas leak, turn off the main gas valve, open all windows and leave the house immediately. Then call your gas company. Do not return to the house until you are told it is safe to do so.
Before you start cleaning or making any repairs, remember to:
- Contact your insurance agent.
- Take pictures of damage.
- Keep good records of repair and cleaning costs.
Remember to wait for officials to declare the area safe before returning home.